Click on the link to complete and submit the online membership form https://forms.gle/dfansow8QuDNVfur8
Langley Avenue Church of God Membership
When you make a decision to become a member of the Langley Avenue Church, we offer classes that cover what it means to be a Covenant Member, as well as our mission, basic beliefs and theological distinctive. We want you to know exactly what it means to become a member and what is required of you. There are six steps to becoming a Covenant Member:
- Attend/Complete New Members Class
Contact our Membership Coordinator Min. Evelyn Tolliver. Our quarterly classes are held in the spring and fall for 8 sessions each class.
- Be Baptized
Baptism is intended only for those who have professed faith in Jesus Christ and can give sufficient testimony to the basics of Christian beliefs. We baptize by immersion because it is not only the original significance of the word but also best symbolizes the reality to which baptism points—our death and resurrection in Christ (Romans 6). If you have not been baptized, following salvation, we will counsel you before we baptize you.
- Participate in a Ministry at Church
We suggest new members join a ministry, which allows you an opportunity to serve the Lord by serving others. This is also a good way to get to know current members.
- Acknowledge & Agree with Church Doctrine
There was no written doctrinal statement required for identification with an assembly during the New Testament as far as we can tell. Yet, the necessity of doctrinal purity is self-evident. In the early church the power and reality of the message of Jesus Christ swept the world. Whereas unbelievers might have doubted the message, Christians experienced the assurance of the indwelling Christ individually (Gal. 2:20) and corporately (Matt. 18:20). Immediately after conversion, a new Christian was taught “the apostles’ doctrine” (Acts 2:42).
- Establish Moral Conformity
Jesus said, “You are the salt of the earth, but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored?” (Matt. 5:13). The church ought to represent God’s standard of morality in the life of its members. While the New Testament church did not give a moral prescription for new members, it was generally accepted that those who had repented of their sins were expected to live for God (1 Cor. 6:9-11). As a person grows in biblical knowledge, he will become aware of other sins from which he will also turn. Since we never become perfect in this life, let us ask the question, “How much moral conformity is required for church membership?” A person must repent of those sins that he knows and must meet the minimum standard of the Christians in his new local assembly.
Be committed by modeling God’s love.
Be committed by praying daily and seeking a relationship with God.
Be committed by encouraging others to come to Christ.
A. COMMITTED TO CHRIST
- By praying and studying Scripture and the faith of the Christian Church.
- By seeking to live a Christ-like life.
- By living responsibly in your personal, family, vocational, political, cultural, and social relationships.
B. COMMITTED TO THE LANGLEY AVENUE CHURCH OF GOD COMMUNITY
- By taking part in the common life and worship of the church.
- By seeking genuine Christian fellowship in a group or class, and acting in love toward other members.
- By supporting the work of the church through the giving of talents, time, and financial support.
- By participating in the governing responsibilities of the church.
C. COMMITTED TO OTHERS
- By proclaiming the good news.
- By developing a servant’s heart and discovering your gifts and talents.
- By working with the pastors, elders and deacons of this church.
- By working in the world for peace, justice, freedom and equality.