2023 Theme: OUR GOD LEADS! Theme Scripture: “He..leadeth me…” Psalm 23:2
HAPPY THANKSGIVING! O Give thanks unto the Lord, for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever. Psalm 107:1
Do You Need Prayer?
Join Langley’s Prayer Line…The Langley Prayer Line is staffed by Langley Avenue COG ministers and prayer team members. Note the available day and time for prayer:
Monday prayer 6:15 AM – 6:45 AM and 12:15 PM – 12:45 PM
Wednesday prayer 6:15 AM – 6:45 AM and 11:15 AM -12 Noon
Friday prayer 6:15 AM – 6:45 AM
Call in with prayer requests, to connect, to pray together and for any other needs.
Let us shelter under the mighty wings of God.
Langley’s Prayer Line:
Access code: 471-150-100#
Ways to Give
Postal Mail– Langley Avenue Church of God, 710 E. 62nd St., Chicago, IL 60637
Zelle – firstname.lastname@example.org
Adult Sunday School Resumes every Sunday morning at 9:30 AM. The Bible study leader will welcome you as you learn more about the Bible. Join members and visitors as they go into an in depth study each week.
Join us for our Weekly Bible Study at 7:00 PM for a lively discussion and rich lessons that apply to our daily lives. Conference call: Fellowship 7:00 -7:15 p.m. Bible Study 7:15 PM. 1-712-832-7000, Access code: 7041808#.
Langley’s In-Person Worship Services
You are welcome to visit and worship with us in-person or virtually. Invite your friends and family. Masks are optional. If you are ill please be mindful of others and remain home.
November is observed as Native American Heritage Month*
The Library of Congress, National Archives and Records Administration, National Endowment for the Humanities, National Gallery of Art, National Park Service, Smithsonian Institution and United States Holocaust Memorial Museum join in paying tribute to the rich ancestry and traditions of Native Americans. For further information click here.
November 23rd is Thanksgiving Day**
Thanksgiving is a time for all of us to reflect on the things for which we are to give thanks to God. Since so many of God’s people are going through major trials in their lives, many find it difficult to be thankful. When we do face difficulties, that is the time we need to be more thankful than ever, as the Lord has promised us that He will be in our midst to help us overcome every trial and evil thing. Evil things do not come from God. They come from the devil. When we are experiencing bad things, we need to thank the Lord that He is there to help us to overcome them. The scripture tells us that in everything we are to be thankful. 1 Thessalonians 5:18 “In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.”
Many times the Lord asks us to do impossible things. He knows we cannot do these things in ourselves, but because He has given us the power of the Holy Spirit, we can do them through Him. The rules in the Kingdom of God are just opposite from the rules in the world.
As Christians …**
- The way up is down: James 4:10 “Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.” James 4:6 “But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.”
- The way to receive is to give: Luke 6:38 “Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.”
- The way to answer criticism is through the Holy Spirit: Matthew 10:19-20 “But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak. For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you.”
- The way to receive forgiveness is to forgive: Matthew 6:14-15 “For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.”
- The way to receive mercy is to be thankful. Psalm 118:1 “O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: because his mercy endureth for ever.”
- The way to overcome fear is to know God has your life in His hand and a place in heaven for you. Matthew 10:28 “And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.”
Here are some important verses in the Bible regarding Thanksgiving:
1 Chronicles 16:8 “Give Thanks unto the LORD, call upon his name, make known his deeds among the people.”
Psalm 50:14 “Offer unto God thanksgiving; and pay thy vows unto the most High.”
Psalm 100:4 “Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.”
Jonah 2:9 “But I will sacrifice unto thee with the voice of thanksgiving; I will pay that that I have vowed. Salvation is of the LORD.”
Reading these verses we realize we are to be thankful and rejoice at all times no matter what is happening in our lives. This Thanksgiving holiday it would be good to make a list of things we are thankful to God for. Remember our thanksgiving should be expressed to God. Yes, there is merit in having a thankful spirit, but ultimately our thanks, as Christians, should be unto our Savior, as the Lord told us that the most important thing we are to be grateful about is our salvation and the fact that our names are written in heaven according to the above scripture. We should especially be thankful for our salvation and what Jesus did to obtain it for us. Praise God, if we have accepted Jesus as our savior we are ultimately going to heaven.
The Langley Avenue Church of God Giving Group took carloads of donations to an African Shelter for families on Sunday, November 12th. The shelter was very grateful for the donations of pampers, baby wipes, clothes, coats, and other financial donations. These donations will bless many families during this holiday season. Thanks to everyone who donated and special thanks to those who drove the items to the shelter.
Baptism Service – On November 5, 2023 we celebrated and rejoiced with 4 candidates who were baptized. Let’s continue to celebrate with them, and keep them in our prayers as they have shared their outward commitment to Christ, which means they are dead to a sinful life and arising to new life in Christ.
Save The Dates:
The 2023 National Inspirational Youth Convention (NIYC) will be held in Houston, TX, Dec. 27-30, 2023.
The theme is Real Love. Register today and plan for an exciting time with your youth group. For more information on registration and scholarships for youth, visit NIYC.org A link to the hotel reservation site will be emailed to the primary contact upon receipt of registration. The cut-off date to reserve your room is December 14th at 11:59 PM.
If you love what you see and the worship services, like, share, and subscribe to our website and social media pages.
Photos from Unsplash, Langley Members, and NIYC.
*Native American Heritage Month
**Are We to Thank God for Everything… Including Bad Things?